Here are MCPS POINTS OF INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW
OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL CHURCH IS STILL STANDING
- The Church was closed suddenly on May 1, 2016. From the pulpit parishioners were told that the City of Worcester mandated the building be closed due to safety reasons. THE TRUTH: City officials stated that they did not mandate the church be closed. A tie back costing between $90,000-$125,000 was required to reopen the front doors of the church.
- Since May 2016 Mount Carmel Preservation Society, Inc (MCPS) was formed by parishioners who reviewed the financial statements of Mt. Carmel and devised a plan to save the church through improved management of the assets of the parish.
- MCPS is a 501 © 3 corporation authorized to do due business in Massachusetts and is registered with the IRS. Learn more about us here: https://preserveourladyofmountcarmel.org/organization-mount-carmel-preservation-society-a-501c3-organization/
- MCPS wants to save the church, the parish, the community along with the historic building and artifacts that came from our ancestors.
- MCPS has filed two separate appeals with the Bishop on the merger of the parish with Our Lady of Loretto and the relegation of the building to profane not sordid use. The Bishop denied these, MCPS filed appeals at the Vatican. Currently we have hired a lawyer who can present our cause to the Vatican high court. OUR CHURCH BUILDING CANNOT BE SOLD UNTIL OUR APPEALS HAVE BEEN EXHAUSTED. THIS IS PER CANON LAW.
- MCPS has kept the traditions alive that our ancestors brought with them from Italy. Such things as the Feast of Mount Carmel, Christmas parties and other events that the Mt. Carmel community can come together.
- MCPS exploring all options to keep the church building standing as a holy space, as a historic building, as a testament to our ancestors and their journey setting in Worcester and as a gem in the community.
- MCPS holds a weekly rosary, currently at the Mount Carmel Apartments on Sundays at 10 am.
- MCPS hopes to succeed in the Vatican appeals or through the purchase or gifting of the building. In order to make this a reality MCPS must be in a position to have funds available for whatever option becomes available.
MCPS IS SEEKING PLEDGES TO PRESERVE MOUNT CARMEL CHURCH. IT IS ONE OF SEVEN TOP MOST ENDANGERED HISTORIC RESOURCES IN MASSACHUSETTS.
FOR THIS PURPOSE. IF YOU PLEDGE $1000 THAT IS $20 PER WEEK FOR ONE YEAR, $2000 IS $40 PER WEEK FOR ONE YEAR OR $20 FOR TWO YEARS.
To make a Pledge download and complete this form and send it to
MOUNT CARMEL PRESERVATION SOCIETY, c/o 146 Morningside Road, Worcester, MA 01602 : PLEDGE FORM SOLO
To make a donation TODAY :
Send a check payable to : Mount Carmel Preservation Society C/O Commerce Bank, P.O. 15020, Worcester MA 01615-9955. Eric Pereira.
PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT: WWW.PRESERVEOURLADYOFMOUNTCARMEL.ORG